Thursday, September 5, 2013

Offline Servicing Failure Resolved

Offline Servicing Failure Resolved

Problem

I had an issue where any of my Offline Servicing jobs to my Operating System images kept failing.  In looking at the log OfflineServicingMgr.log I noticed several errors Failed to install update with error code -2146498512.  I hope this helps someone else as it took a couple days for me to find the information.

Solution

Found the solution buried in the TechNet forum article HERE.  Below is the meat that allowed me to resolve my issue.

Process

My configuration is as follows:

·         ConfigMgr SP1 can’t remember the CU running on Windows Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2008 R2 on a Hyper-V 2012 Host.

·         SCEP is on and real-time protection is enabled

·         Try to do an offline service of your operating system and see what drive letter the folder ConfigMgr_OfflineImageServicing is created on.

·         Create the folder ConfigMgr_OfflineImageServicing manually on the drive it was created on and reset the permissions to their defaults

·         Create a SCEP exclusion for the directory %windir%\temp\*.*

·         Create a SCEP exclusion for the directory <driveletter>\ConfigMgr_OfflineImageServicing\*.*

·         Create a SCEP exclusion for the process <driveletter>\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\x86\DISM\DISM.exe

·         Create a SCEP exclusion for the process <driveletter>\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM\DISM.exe

·         Create a SCEP exclusion for dismhost.exe  ***I was unable to find the whole path for this so I just put it in without a path.

 

2 comments:

  1. I found Dismhost.exe at
    c:\windows\system32\dism\dismhost.exe
    and
    c:\windows\syswow64\dism\dismhost.exe

    ReplyDelete